December 1, 2011

Task 2d: Inquiry

What I am really enthusiastic about, has nothing whatsoever to do with my work as a graphic designer. I am curious in knowing more about the structure of the company which I am working in. Sometimes that company remains me on a busy anthill. I know I am not the first person which does make this comparison. However, nobody can doubt the similarity between a big company and an anthill, especially when 14.400 are working in, there. Like in an anthill, nobody does really have a complete overview but the system is working and existing. That is fantastic, because it does mean that this system is self-regulating. It is working just because of many little elements which are branched into many little sections and ends with every employee. The success of a company is also related to the effort of every little unit. And I am a little part of it too. I really do not know why I do evaluate about the establishment. Usually I think: It can not be worthless to know more about the system I am working in. 


I would really like to know if somebody else here evaluates about the background structure of his or her workplace.


Curiosity is important in many business fields, especially in the creative sector. My curiosity is also a part of my job. I have to collect impressions as well as informations. Afterwards I have to de- and restructure them to build something else, something new. This process is really difficult and exhausting, because I have to remember on many facts, must decide which are important, have to sort out and than bring them all together to one work. This piece of work has to:

1. represent the company
2. explain one or different services 
3. transport a statement
4. be attention-grapping
5. satisfy my superior

I do love my job for this complexity. Every piece of work has new requirements. That makes this kind of job so exciting. Additional to this I can, as I have already mentioned, still my need of knowledge. The job is social (I have contact with many people). And most important, like the famous British designer Conran said:

by Fabien Barral

The fact that some people think graphic design would be easier than other jobs is making me both: angry and sad at the same time. I suppose or rather feel that some colleagues which are no graphic designers think like this. But during my working for different BAPP tasks, I have found a quote that made me calm: 

by Fabien Barral

But I am not really satisfied with this statement. Not Designers but their works has to be loved and understood. So, I would change the sentence a little bit and cancel the last three letters in the first word. 

The pictures above are made from Fabien Barral. A designer which I really admire. I found his blog during my work on the task "Journal writing experience". I was searching for info graphs and found his blog by accident. 
The graphic design works on his blog are very impressive. If you are curious, have a look:


This is his website:



Related to the quote on the Poster from the designer Conran which Barral has visualized, his works have evoked "an emotional response" inside me. His works are so multi-faceted. He plays with colors, materials, graphic elements, with typo and creates such round, balanced and beautiful peaces of work. I have rarely seen works from graphic designers with such a fine awareness of forms, typo, colors and materials. The combination fits together. I do not really understand how full of ideas a person must be to create such fantastic works. He made also another piece which maybe gives the answer:

by Fabien Barral
But how do emotions develop? Do we have to make experience to feel something? Do we have to see, feel, hear or smell to be moved by something? Are our sensory impressions responsible for our emotions? I suppose that the connection of a sensory stimulation and our feeling in a certain situation builds a good or bad emotion. E.g. as a child we were lying in the grass and smelled the plants, flowers and the earth. That was a positive feeling, because we hadn´t got to clean our room. We were free and relaxed. Isn´t that the reason why we have to paint our office in green in order to remember this feeling? 

by Fabien Barral

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Katharina!
    Of course I question and analyze my workplace! I work in a State Theatre, mostly funded by tax-payers money and a heck of a lot goes wrong here, so asking myself, what I, as one of the smallest components in this machinery can do better seems like a natural thing to me.
    People often scoff at art and design, thinking that it is smth. completely unnecessary and a waste of their time and money. But little do they realize, that they are in fact already in touch with it every day.
    This morning I was listening to a radio-programme on SWR2...reading through your blog made me think about it once again....maybe you find it as interesting as I did?? I definitely had an "AHA-Erlebnis" ((O;

    http://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/wissen/noergeln-murren-meckern-unzufriedenheit/-/id=660374/sdpgid=610994/nid=660374/did=8776498/1ltgz5w/index.html

    I really like the style of design of your blog!!
    Keep up the good work,
    hugs,
    .fione <(")

    ReplyDelete