April 15, 2012

Task 6a: Inquiry Tools


During the last weeks I have planed and conducted a pilotinterview, a pilotsurvey and a pilot focus group. Actually I am planning and will conduct a pilot observation this week.

The starting point 
The starting point for developing my survey have been the literature "Think limbic" from the author Dr. Hans-Georg Häusel. The author are Dipl. Psychologist and are one of the leading experts in marketing-, selling- and management-brain-science. The book has a tool at the end of the book where the reader can find out by answering a few questions which limbic type he or she are. I thought this would be a great starting point for my survey. But I didn't want to copy the "test" from the book and decided, after a lot of reading and speaking with my boyfriend, to develop completely other questions.

Aim for the Survey
Important for me was to reduce errors, for that reason I developed very easy and closed questions. I spend a whole day on developing a survey which the participants can understand without further explains. This was very important for me, because the disadvantages of a survey compared to an interview are, that the participant can't ask questions to a questioner. The survey has to be self-explanatory.

No Survey Monkey
I decided not to use survey monkey for developing my inquiry, because the questions are limited there. I needed to ask more than 15 questions, but the provider offers only 15 question for free. For this purpose, I decide to design my own questionnaire form with Adobe Pro. This program offers many opportunities for creating a questionnaire.

Here are the result: Pilot Survey

Pilot Interview
After this process I had the feeling to be on the right track. Immediately I had finished the survey, I started to prepare the pilot interview. Suddenly many questions came to my mind, because I had to think very limited during the survey design and now I had the feeling to get much more freedom related to the questions. 

Aim of Pilot Interview
The aim of the interview was to test out the duration and further more to get new starting points and ideas from the participant. But it was also very important for me, that my question be understood and the answers of my participant are very clear. So, I tried to develop a set of questions which are built of one another. I wanted to avoid brakes or silence, because the participant should feel competence and a flouting.


Focus Group
For prepared a set of question and keywords, about my theme. I thought I would be like a moderator. My imagine was to drive the topic forward and have to responsible that no participant drifts away from the main theme. 

Aim of Focus Group
I expected a lot from this research tool, because it seemed to me the tool where the output would be the most. The participants are very free and thoughts and ideas can flout. This process seemed to me a little bit like brain-storming with a group of people.




No comments:

Post a Comment