March 3, 2012

Task 4d: Award Title

A Long Process


After speaking with people, reflecting and thinking about my knowledge which I already have and which I want to gain during the inquiry I had a few ideas for my Award Title. The difficulty for me was that I want to express the learning results of my inquiry in the Award Title. I recognized here that this would be very difficult, because after reading through books and articles I got a impression about the size and the variety of opportunities which contains my chosen topic. I suppose that the most difficulty for me will be to narrow my topic. The reason why I am not sure about the Award Title is, that I am not completely sure about what my inquiry will cover. Advertising psychology links also to many other interesting fields, like Marketing or Brand Psychology. 


I am employed during 2009 in a subsidiaries of a big and international oriented group and can actually work very free and independently because I am the only graphic designer in this sector. I master the important computer programs and my chief are usually satisfied with my work. The reason why I would like to examine psychology criteria to graphic design are because as a graphic designer we want to communicate to people visual. I do realized nearly everyday that I am very quick confronted with my own limits. I do create materials which "looks good" but I want to create successful advertising/graphic design. 


The reason why I am employed is that my chief want to sell his products. But HOW can I help him to reach this goal when I don't know the needs of the costumers? I am aware of some needs, but I can't implement this information in my graphic designs, because I don't know the key to visualize these needs effectively. 
Usually the decision for this or that of my drafts are based on the matter of taste. But my goal is to create graphic design which is based on proven psychology facts. Brand, product, advertising and graphic design should form a unit and reach the target group.


For all above mentioned facts I chose the Award Title:


BA (Hons) Professional Practice in visual brand and product communication







2 comments:

  1. Hey Katharina!
    I´m running into the same problem..having to narrow down my thoughts into something really compact I will have the resources to research!
    I have done a mind-map and am still thinking of questions. I really like your psychological approach towards your subject- in a way I am also intrigued to go down the "social psychology" path in my field.
    Your proposed title reminded me of the German "Kommunikationsdesign"....were you also thinking about that?
    I am finding your proposed title good, but maybe a little confusing...maybe ....in visual product communication.....or even.....design communication.....communication of design....or.....hm...this is just me, playing about....
    What would you like to do with your award title and what are your plans for the near/close/distant future?? Maybe that will also help you??
    All the best,
    .fi ((O;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fione! Thank you for your suggestions! Yes, it isn't easy to narrow down the thoughts, but I think a mind-map is a good start. Wouldn't it be a help If you write down the disadvantages and advantages for you, your future career and the work of others, to any subject that you have in mind? Just an idea. I think I will try it, because that are the thoughts in my head, but I need it visualized on the paper.

    Fione, very got that you made this suggestion: "Kommunikationdesign", because I tried to make a difference of this Title and I see now that I haven't. The reason why I don't want to use this Title is, that I already have gained it in Germany last year :-). I would like to express the psychological aspect of my inquiry in my Title. Do you have any ideas?

    I have visualized my plan roughly outlined in my previous post, but I will do it now, after your suggestion, more in detail. Tell me about your SIG, because if you chose a social psychology subject it is also interesting for me.

    ReplyDelete